As we continue through the recipes I must take a moment to comment on the pictures that I will be posting. A very dear friend of mine, Bob Young, has taken fantastic pictures at nearly everyone of the wine dinners, we have hosted at the Buzz. He has several blogs that he is consistently updating, the pictures and dinner reviews are carried on his Boise Foodie Guild blogspot, this offers a lot of fun recipes and events and reviews of many of the restaurants in the Boise area.
This is a picture of our Roasted Vegetable Salad that we featured at our May 2012 wine dinner.
Red Wine Vinagrette
- Makes 1½ cups
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 2 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Salad Serves 8 as a side or 4 for dinner
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 butternut squash, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 bag of mixed greens (or chop up different lettuces)
- 1 cup mixed Italian cheeses (shredded)
Plate the greens, top with vegetables, drizzle with red wine vinaigrette, and top with cheese. And enjoy.
If you have extra vegetables refrigerate them and use them with some boiled rotini for a repeat meal, could toss in vodka sauce or Alfredo with the pasta for a vegetarian dinner the next day.
We served this salad with a 2008 Australian Red blend by Pillar Box. (Always good to have a salad that goes amazingly well with a red wine).